After much planning and plotting, my friend Fluffy & I went shopping at Costco this morning. We split the cost of the membership, and considered the trip to be part shop, part adventure.
We weren’t convinced that a DINK & a single girl would find huge savings in the land of Big Family Bargains, but we were pleasantly surprised. We were both determined NOT to buy anything that we didn’t need, wasn’t cheaper than elsewhere, and/or wouldn’t store well over a period of months.
My good buys included
– a 3 pack of Rinse Aid for the price of 2;
– 300 gm packs of Australian goat cheese for the price I’d usually pay for 200gms. These were good til October, so I bought 4.
– a catering pack of baking paper;
– a 4 pack of Calvin Klein Boxer trunks (for Mr B) for the price I used to pay for 1 pair;
– organic salsa and small tins of Ayam Malaysian satay & curry sauces ( a good quick dinner option);
– a bulk pack of freezer bags;
– a 1.7 litre bottle of Smirnoff vodka for just $10 more than the cheapest 750ml vodka I could find locally ( this is the base for next year’s batch of Christmas Pudding Vodka).
Fluffy’s big bargain included big boxes of clumping kitty litter $5 cheaper than she usually buys, a BIG block of haloumi, a big tub of yogurt and a big bag of muesli, and some lovely new pillows. We split a big bag of walnuts between us ( I bought a big bag of pecans, too).
The verdict: we will definitely get our money back on the membership. We’ll go back, though probably not SOON. Mr B & I have discussed hosting his family Christmas this year. If we do, we’ll certainly head to Costco to stock up on party food.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment